Llangefni is the county town of Anglesey in Wales and contains the principal offices of the Isle of Anglesey County Council. The United Kingdom Census 2011 recorded Llangefni’s population as 5,116 people, making it the second largest settlement on the island. The Census also recorded that 83.8% of the population speak Welsh fluently, with the highest percentage of speakers being in the 10-14 age group where 95.2% are able to speak Welsh.
The town is near the centre of the island on the River Cefni, after which it is named. Its attractions include the Oriel Ynys Mon Museum, which details the history of Anglesey and housing the legacy collection of Charles Tunnicliffe. In the west of the town is a large secondary school, Ysgol Gyfun Llangefni (Llangefni Comprehensive School), and in the north a Victorian parish church, St Cyngar’s, set in a wooded riverside location called the Dingle. The town was formerly named Llangyngar, Welsh for “St Cyngar’s church”.
Llangefni is the principal commercial and farming town on the island – the larger town of Holyhead being a port town and somewhat separate from the agricultural, cultural and linguistical nature of the rest of the island – and in the past hosted the largest cattle market on the island. There is a relatively large industrial estate which is home to wide variety of large and small businesses.
The town had a station on the Anglesey Central Railway line which opened in 1864. It closed in 1964 although goods trains continued to pass through the town until 1993. Although no longer used, the tracks have not been removed.
Llangefni hosted the National Eisteddfod in 1957, 1983 and in 1999 gave its name to the Eisteddfod held at the nearby village of Llanbedrgoch. It also hosted the Urdd Eisteddfod in 1994. This town also has a college, Coleg Menai (Llangefni site).